Fried Radicchio with Honey
Posted on February 20, 2012
Radicchio Fritto with honey is a tasty treat to have as an appetizer.
I like to drizzle honey on top of it and serve it warm.
Radicchio is very popular in Italy and is also known as a leaf chicory. It has white-veined red leaves and is often mixed with other greens a presenting in salads.
It can have a bitter or spicy taste, but that mellows when it is grilled or roasted.
Serves 4 (1 head of radicchio for 2 people)
Radicchio Fritto with Honey
2 heads of Radicchio
1/2 cup of Flour
1 1/2 cup of Panko
2 Eggs Whisked
Olive Oil for Frying
Salt and Pepper to your taste
1/2 cup of Honey (I like to use flower honey)
Heat oven to 350 Degrees
1. Remove and discard the outer leaves of the radicchio and rinse the heads, dab them dry and cut each in half from top to bottom.
2. Mix the flour and breadcrumbs together and place in a shallow bowl. Whisk the eggs in another shallow bowl.
3. Coat the radicchio halves in the egg.
4. Next coat the radicchio halves in the flour and panko mixture.
5. In a deep pan, heat the oil and fry the radicchios until they are golden brown on all sides.
6. Let them drain on paper towels.
7. When they are done frying put them in a baking dish and season them with salt and pepper. Bake them in the oven for 6 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. Serve them warm with a drizzle of honey on top.