Spezzatino di Manzo (Italian beef stew) + Longhorn Cowboy Dinner
Posted on March 2, 2013
When the Rodeo arrives in Houston it’s a big celebration. The entire city really gets into it with themed dinners and fun activities. The schools have Go Texan Day. The kids dress up and learn all kinds of dances like do-si-do.
Chef Giancarlo hosted a longhorn cowboy dinner over at Arcodoro with an Italian Twist. I can’t tell you how much I love this idea. The attire for the evening was Italian Cowboy Chic.
Chef Giancarlo shared this recipe with me: Spezzatino di Manzo, which is an Italian beef stew. I made this dish over the weekend. John and the kids just about licked the bowl clean it was so good.
I served it with my Rustic Italian Bread.
- 7 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 3/4 cups chopped seeded peeled plum tomato (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat a sauce pot medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add onion and chopped carrot; sauté 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to sauté pan. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Add half of beef to pan; sauté 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure.
- Add wine to pan, and bring to a boil, scraping pan. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 5 minutes). Put the meat and the wine reduction in the sauce pot with the vegetables and return to the heat . Add tomato and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, basil, and parsley.
- Serving suggestion : Serve the beef stew over corn meal or Italian Polenta with generous amount or grated parmesan cheese.
- Paring wine: Rosso Montalcino, Chianti Cassico , Barbaresco delle langhe, Montepulciano D’Abruzzo.
- Buon appetito dal Vostro Chef Giancarlo Ferrara
Grazie Chef Giancarlo! Un Abbraccio a Te :) Carrie