Salted Caramel and Chocolate Tart
Posted on June 6, 2013
The combination of caramel and chocolate is something I adore. And just to make it a tad bit more irresistible I like to sprinkle a bit of flaky salt on top.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 can (13.4 ounces) Dulce de Leche
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) Semi-Sweet Chocolate or Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together egg yolks, 1 tablespoon cream and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract in small bowl.
- In a mixer add flour, powdered sugar, salt and blend, then add butter; mix until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Next add yolk mixture in step 1 and process until mixture forms a ball. Shape into a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough and spread it out to a disk and transfer to a 9 inch tart pan, press into the bottom and to the sides pulling the dough up the sides.
- Line the shell with a piece of aluminum foil; fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice.
- BAKE for 30 minutes or until pastry is set and the edges are golden. Remove the foil and weights. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Spoon dulce de leche into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for a few seconds at a time just until warm; stir.
- Spoon dulce de leche into tart shell, spreading evenly.
- Now place the chocolate in medium bowl and set aside. Heat 1/2 cup cream in a small saucepan until bubbles appear around the edge.
- Remove the cream from the heat and pour over the chocolate to start melting it. Let stand for 5 minutes or until melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Take the melted chocolate and pour over dulce de leche; spread with a spatula.
- Dust with a little flaky sea salt.
- To serve the same day refrigerate for at least 1 hour for it to set. Remove side of tart pan and transfer the tart to a serving plate. Cut into wedges.
The mixture will start to crumble and stick together. Just scape it off the paddle and make a round ball like this and cover in parchment to set in the fridge for 30 min:
After 30 minutes place the ball in a 9 inch tart pan to flatten and shape by pinching and pulling it up to mold it around the tart pan:
Once this is done and you have it evenly spread place parchment or foil on top of it along with pie weights, beans or rice to place in the oven:
After the crust has cooled spoon over the dulce de leche caramel:
Next, spoon the chocolate over the caramel and finish off with flaky sea salt and you are ready to serve.