Learn to make Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Posted on January 21, 2014
While visiting London, I discovered that Cucumber Tea Sandwiches are my absolute favorite. They are simple, elegant and don’t require anything out of the ordinary to create. As Giuliana Orme will tell you - they epitomize the concept of an afternoon tea.
I made a batch of them over the weekend for a Downton Abbey viewing party. They were sublime and a little dangerous to tell you the truth! I mean one minute they are there and the next gone. Even the kids had their hands on them.
As I keep hinting, these cucumber tea sandwiches are craveable and refreshing.
Giuliana shared a few tricks with me and it starts with having the right equipment, good bread, and room temperature butter.
Here are a few things you will need to have on hand to make Cucumber Tea Sandwiches.
Mandoline (or some sort of slicing attachment on a food processor) – A mandoline is the best way to get your cucumbers sliced thin. The texture of the sandwich is better with layers of thinly sliced cucumbers verses a thick slice of a cucumber.
Bread – Make sure you buy a really good-quality thin sliced bread. You will need to get thinnest of the medium sliced bread.
Butter – It’s very important to have your butter at room temperature so that it is easy to spread.
Sharp Bread Knife – this will make all the difference when you are cutting the crusts off and slicing them into tiny sandwiches. You will need to make sure your bread knife is sharp, if it isn’t take it to get sharpened.
Spreading Knife - A small frosting spatula will work or choose a knife that has the roundest and widest blade.
- 4 thin slices of white bread
- Softened Butter
- 1/2 Cucumber (peeled if you prefer) thinly sliced
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Spread with softened butter, making sure you go right up to the edges.
- Place the slices of cucumber on 2 slices of bread.
- Place the other two slices of bread on top.
- Cut into small squares or oblongs.
- Arrange on a plate, using halved slices of cucumber to decorate as you wish.
- You can season the cucumber if you wish but I prefer it without any seasoning. The freshness of the cucumber really comes through and the butter sets if off nicely.
- If you cut them like I did in the picture oblong then this recipe makes 6 Cucumber Tea Sandwiches.
Here are few snapshots of the process: