Vanilla Ice Cream Makeover: Sorbet and Strawberries
Posted on July 2, 2014
Try this vanilla ice cream makeover by adding sorbet and fresh strawberries to the mix.
I’ve seen fun ice cream creations all over Italy. At the cafes you will find ice cream and sorbet layered in pretty glasses with all sorts of toppings including fresh fruit. It’s different than just grabbing a gelato. The idea is to build layers of flavor and texture with pops of greatness.
After walking around for hours in the heat we would pop in a cafe, grab an outside table and order a few of these creamy creations.
Travel Tip: Ordering ice cream at a cafe is helpful for a few reasons. A mid afternoon treat sitting down at a table with water is a great way to recharge and refresh. BUT the most important reason is you have access to clean bathrooms which is so helpful on a day of sightseeing.
Vanilla Ice Cream Makeover with Sorbet and Strawberries
Here’s what you will need:
2 pints strawberries halved
1 lemon juiced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 container of strawberry sorbet
1 container of vanilla ice cream
Fresh mint for garnish
Cute cookies (I used hearts)
Here’s how to assemble:
1. In a bowl, combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to macerate.
2. Next gather your glasses or bowls. I like to use glassware instead of bowls for a fun look.
3. Start with a few scoops of the sorbet then add a few scoops of vanilla ice cream.
4. Add the strawberries on top or to the side and drizzle some of the strawberry juice mixture on top of the vanilla ice cream.
5. Garnish with a cookies + the mint.
Now sit back and enjoy your Vanilla Ice Cream Makeover!