This is one of my favorite spreads that I like to serve with appetizers.
I think it’s healthy and full of protein and pairs well with a crudite platter.
Instead of grabbing chickpeas or a store bought hummus opt for a can of cannellini beans and make a fast and easy puree.
Cannellini beans are large with a traditional kidney shape. They have a slight nutty taste with a mild earthiness. They are tender and creamy which makes them perfect for spreads and dips.
Cannellini Dip and Warm Parmigiano Pita Chips
2 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Grated Parmigiano Cheese
Optional: If you like a bit of a kick add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Update: Over the weekend my mom made my recipe but she also added about 2 teaspoons of lemon zest into the mixture. It worked out well if you want more of a lemon bite to it.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. In a food processor puree beans, minced garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil. If you need additional salt and pepper season to your taste.
2. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.
3. Next take your pita bread and cut into wedges and layer on a large baking sheet.
4. Toss the wedges with a bit of olive oil to lightly coat them.
5. Next sprinkle the pita wedges with parmigiano cheese and bake in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
Serve the pita wedges warm with your cannellini bean puree.