Asparagus is one of my favorite sides for steak, seafood, and even for pasta.
This recipe is for a neat little sauce with it’s origins from Liguria, which has a multitude of green sauces and pesto dishes.
Liguria is where pesto is originally from and is one of the most popular sauces in Italian cuisine.
Liguria is a coastal region of north-western Italy, the third smallest of the Italian regions. Its capital is Genoa. It’s a popular area with tourists for its beautiful beaches and picturesque little towns.
This dish is flavorful, nutty and creamy. I hope you get a chance to try it!
Asparagus Pesto with Penne Pasta
2 Bundles of green asparagus (rough bottom parts cut off)
1/2 cup of chopped green onions (green parts)
1 cup of grated parmigiano cheese or pecorino romano
1/2 cup of plain yogurt or you can use 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 tsp of minced garlic
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/4 cup of pine nuts
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 box of penne pasta
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking tray with foil and layer the asparagus on the tray. Sprinkle with olive and and salt to your taste. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes.
3. Take the asparagus out of the oven, cut the tops off and set aside.
4. Take the bottom parts of the asparagus and cut them in half, then put them in a food processor.
5. Add the following in the food processor: green onions, parmigiano cheese, minced garlic, salt, pine nuts, and olive oil. Pulse until all blended.
6. Next add the plain yogurt or the whipping cream for a creamy texture.
7. At this point you can add more salt or cheese to your liking. Set it aside.
NOTE: Makes about 2 cups of sauce
8. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the penne pasta according to the directions on the box.
9. Once the pasta is done, drain it and add it to a bowl then mix it with the asparagus sauce.
10. Plate it and add the tops of the asparagus on top of the pasta to serve.