This is a very simple Bolognese Sauce that you can start making at 4:00 and be done by 5:30 and ready for dinner at 6:00 p.m.
I use this sauce for many dishes but add what I need for those specific recipes like Béchamel or fresh herbs or dried seasonings. For me this is just a great basic sauce start with.
NOTE: This sauce is actually a combination of a Marinara and Bolognese. I use more tomatoes which is like a Marinara but I also include meat which is more of a Bolognese.
What you will need:
1 cup of white onion finely chopped
1 cup of celery finely chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons of chopped scallion
1 1/2 lb of ground Beef or Bison
2 teaspoons of Chicken Bouillon or 2 Cubes
3 Cans of Chefs Cut Tomatoes (San Marzano Tomatoes)
5 Fresh Basil leaves
2 teaspoons of chopped Italian Parsley
Salt & Pepper
Pecorino Toscano Cheese to shave on top for serving
I like to toss Capellini, Rigatoni, or Penne
Steps to prepare:
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper and cook until it is browned and set aside
2. In another pan heat up the olive oil
3. Add the onions and celery. Saute over moderate heat and sweat them until they are translucent, then add the chopped scallion
4. Drain the beef once it is cooked
5. Add the beef to the onion and celery mixture
6. Add the 3 cans of Tomatoes and mix together
7. Add the Chicken Bouillon
8. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low an simmer covered for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as needed
9. Add the Basil and Parsley
Before serving check the seasoning and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Toss with your preferred pasta and you are ready to eat.
Notes: The tomatoes are such a major part of this recipe so make sure you buy the San Marzano whole tomatoes in a can.