Butternut squash ravioli with a sage brown butter sauce is a beautiful dish.
Butternut Squash Ravioli or Tortelli in Emilia-Romagna is a typical Christmas Eve dish in Italy.
This ravioli is the first pasta dish served at Christmas Eve Dinner. The variations of fillings are endless and this one is my favorite. Butternut Squash Ravioli is made throughout winter. Everyone enjoys the natural sweetness paired with a slight bitterness.
For this Recipe you will need to make a few things: Pasta, Filling, and Sauce.
You can make the filling the night before and store it in the refrigerator over night.
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
Pasta for the Ravioli:
Use my Homemade pasta dough that serves 4 to 6 people. Note: we will be rolling the pasta dough into wide ribbons.
Butternut Squash Filling:
1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
1/2 cup of fresh ricotta
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
4 Amaretti biscuits, crumbled
Pinch of nutmeg
Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
20 small fresh sage leaves
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Grated Parmesan cheese or to your taste
Juice of 1 small lemon – to stop the browning
I like to make the filling the night before to save time you and let the flavors mingle a bit more.
1. Mix all ingredients for the filling in a bowl using a spatula.
2. Take the bowl and set aside in the refrigerator for a hour, or make it the night before.
1. Take a pasta sheet and add about 1 Tablespoon of the filling with space in between them.
2. With water wet your fingertips and lightly moisten the edges.
3. Fold the pasta sheet over the filling so that it is covered and pinch the edges down.
3. Use a ruffle cutter or ravioli stamp and cut out the ravioli.
Sage brown butter sauce:
1. Place a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add butter and sage.
3. The butter should sizzle with sage and begin to turn brown.
4. Remove the brown butter sauce from the heat for 30 seconds.
5. Carefully (away from any flame) add the juice of 1 lemon.
Note: It will sizzle aggressively and stop browning.
1. Boil the Ravioli in salted water and start to make the brown butter sauce.
2. Drain the Ravioli and toss with the sage brown butter sauce.
3. Toss with with grated parmesan cheese and serve!