Butternut Squash Ravioli or Tortelli in Emilia-Romagna is a typical Christmas Eve dish in Italy.
It’s the first dish to be served during the Christmas Eve Dinner. The variations of fillings are endless but this one is my favorite. This dish is made throughout winter since everyone enjoys the natural sweetness with the slight bitterness.
For this Recipe you will need to make a few things: Pasta, Filling, and Sauce.
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
Pasta for the Ravioli:
Use my Homemade pasta dough that serves 4 to 6 people. Note: we will be rolling the pasta dough into wide ribbons.
Butternut Squash Filling:
1 cup roasted butternut squash puree
1/2 cup of fresh ricotta
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
4 Amaretti biscuits, crumbled
Pinch of nutmeg
Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
20 small fresh sage leaves
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Grated Parmesan cheese or to your taste
Juice of 1 small lemon – to stop the browning
Prepare the filling:
Remember you can make the filling the night before.
1. Mix all ingredients for the filling in a bowl using a spatula until it’s all fully incorporated.
2. Set aside in the refrigerator for a hour, or make it the night before.
Prepare the ravioli:
1. Take a pasta sheet and add about 1 Tablespoon of the filling with space in between them.
2. With water wet your fingertips and lightly moisten the edges around the dough.
3. Fold the dough over so that the filling is covered and pinch the edges down.
3. Use a ruffle cutter or ravioli stamp and cut out the ravioli.
Prepare the sage brown butter sauce:
1. Place a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add butter and sage.
3. The butter should sizzle with sage and begin to turn brown.
4. Once it becomes brown, remove from heat for 30 seconds.
5. Carefully (away from any flame) add the juice of 1 lemon.
Note: It will sizzle aggressively and stop browning.
Assemble the dish:
1. Boil the Ravioli in salted water.
2. While the Ravioli is boiling make the sage brown butter sauce.
3. Once the Ravioli are finished drain well and toss with the sage brown butter sauce.
4. Toss with with grated parmesan cheese and serve!