This Italian Wedding Cookie Recipe is from my childhood.
The Italian Wedding Cookie Recipe makes it’s appearance at Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, and during the Christmas Holidays. They are easy to make and only require a few ingredients. The key to this recipe is using an unsalted European style butter and a really good vanilla extract.
Note: There is less water content in European Style butter therefore it adds more flavor to anything you are baking.
During Christmas I like to package the cookies as gifts and deliver them to friends and family.
These cookies store well and freeze well. You can freeze them before you roll them in powder sugar. I layer them on sheets of baking parchment spaced apart inside a container.
Servings: About 80 Cookies
1 1/2 Cups of Unsalted European Butter (I like to use Plugra 82% butter fat, awesome for baking!)
3/4 Cup of Confectioners’ Sugar (powder sugar)
1 1/2 Cups of Ground Almonds
5 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 Cups of Sifted All Purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
1/3 Cup of Confectioners’ Sugar for rolling (powder sugar)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C)
2. Cream the butter in a bowl and gradually add the powder sugar, and salt.
3. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add the almonds and vanilla extract and blend.
5. Next add the flour and mix all together.
6. Shape into balls or what ever design you need. I use a spoon scoop out the amount I need to keep it all the same size.
7. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
8. It’s very important to let them cool before you roll them in the powder sugar. Otherwise the sugar will melt onto the cookie and get lumpy.
Source: Provenzano Family Recipe