I couldn’t resist the Idea of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Brandy. This recipe is perfect for a fall evening by a fire with a slice of Irish Soda Bread.
As we move closer to cooler evenings and darker nights think about creating a gathering with a few friends. Make something simple and grab a few bottles of choice wine and indulge in your friendships.
Entertaining doesn’t have to be perfect. We really need to work on how we define the modern day host/hostess. Release the need for perfection and embrace enjoyment of your time.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Brandy
Serves about 6 people
What you will need:
4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
3 leeks (whites only), thoroughly washed and sliced
2½ lb. Roasted Butternut Squash (about 2 medium butternut squash cut into chunks)
3 Cups of chicken broth
1/3 cup of heavy cream
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
6 to 8 tsp. of brandy
To make this soup heartier add the following ingredients:
1/2- lb. ham steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup of cannellini beans
How to Prepare:
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the leeks and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the roasted butternut squash and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Salt and pepper to your taste.
5. Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large pieces of squash for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
7. Use an immersion hand blender (or blender) to puree the soup until very smooth.
8. Optional: After you puree mixture add diced ham steak and or cannellini beans to make a heartier soup.
9. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl off with 1 teaspoon of brandy.
10. I like to serve this with my Irish Soda Bread.
How to make roasted butternut squash:
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat butter over medium-high heat in an ovenproof sauté pan; add diced squash, salt and pepper.
Roast for 15 minutes or until medium-brown on all sides. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then add to the recipe above.
How to clean leeks: Cut off the top green part and the bottom. Slice the white parts into rings.
Fill a bowl with cold water, add the sliced leeks, and swish them around a few times. Next, lift the leeks out of the bowl and place them on napkin or kitchen towel. You will see grit settle at the bottom of the the bowl. Pour out the gritty water. Fill the bowl again with fresh water and repeat until the water is grit free.