They are dry, crunchy, and great for dipping in drinks. Traditionally, you would serve biscotti with Vin Santo, a beautiful dessert wine.
This Almond and Apricot Biscotti recipe is perfect with tea or coffee, and if you are feeling a little adventurous try a glass of Vin Santo!
Almond and Apricot Biscotti
makes about 15 biscotti
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
1. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter on medium until softened.
2. Add sugar, baking powder, eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating.
3. Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time until fully mixed in.
4. Add the almonds and apricots and begin to form the dough with your hands.
5. Divide the dough into half and form 2 logs.
6. Place each log on plastic wrap and shape them into 2 flat blocks.
7. Wrap them in the plastic wrap and put them in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
8. Place your flat logs onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
9. Make sure they are 4 inches apart.
10. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for about 45 minutes.
11. With a serrated knife, cut each log into thick slices.
12. Lay the slices flat on a cookie sheet and bake again for 5 minutes on each side until crisp.
Biscotti improve in flavor if made 1 to 2 days ahead. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Desserts, Italian Inspired, Biscotti, Almond and Apricot Biscotti