This Italian Cream Bundt Cake is really lovely.
I feel like the bundt version of the cake saves you time since you are not icing 3 layers.
Bundt Notes: I used the Nordic Ware Platinum Non-stick Cast Aluminum Fleur De Lis Pan for this Italian Cream Bundt Cake.
Icing Notes: I decided to make a thinner icing but it is thicker than a glaze. It’s cream cheese based mixed with whipping cream to thin it out.
Icing the Cake: With the cake on parchment paper I dolloped (with a spoon) the icing mixture to show some of the cake through letting it drip down a bit (if you like that look). Then I sprinkled with chopped nuts and a bit of powdered sugar. Once it was finished I moved it to my cake stand.
- 2 Cups of Sifted All Purpose Flour (I like to use Farino Tipo 00 – An Italian Flour, note: you can also use Cake Flour)
- 2 Cups of Sugar
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 5 Egg Whites (beat until stiff peaks)
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 oz of White Chocolate Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of Whipping Cream
- Chopped Walnuts for Decoration
- Optional: Sprinkle Powdered Sugar
Steps to Prepare and Bake
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If your oven browns quickly then take it down 15 to 20 degrees. Grease your bundt pan and have it ready to go.
- Cream butter with sugar and add vanilla.
- Next add 5 separated egg yolks and 1/2 cup of olive oil – mix and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients: Sifted flour and the baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/4 cup at a time).
- Next mix in walnuts and coconut.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- With a spatula gently fold in your egg whites into the batter by making the figure 8 pattern.
- Spoon the batter into your greased bundt pan making it as even as you can.
- Bake for about 60 minutes until the cake seems firm and isn’t jiggling when you move it side to side.
- Let it cool outside for at least 1 hour. Then flip it out onto a sheet of parchment.
For the Icing
- With a hand blender cream the white chocolate cream cheese with the 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream.
- Next dollop the icing around the bundt cake as you wish. Top off with chopped walnuts and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Also if you have any icing left over ( I did) put it in a bowl so you guests can add more to their slice of cake if they wish.
- Refrigerate the cake until you are going to slice and serve!
Keywords: Desserts, Cakes, Italian Dishes, Cream Bundt