King Cake Trifle & Chantilly Custard:
A festive and fun dessert to make that will have people scraping the edges for more.
We decided to venture out to the tiny creeks by our house but the rain stopped us halfway through our journey. The kids were really looking forward to seeing the family of turtles that recently showed up on the banks.
Instead we decided to create some cheer on our rainy Sunday by whipping up this king cake trifle with Chantilly Custard.We layered the slices of king cake with a vanilla custard, fresh fruit and whipped cream.
It’s been a very rainy gray week and this trifle brightened up our weekend.
The King Cake is part of a Carnival Tradition (also known as Mardi Gras) that you will find throughout the Gulf Coast Region of Texas, up to Mobile, AL and all the way to the Florida Panhandle.
You will find King Cakes in all of the bakeries and grocery stores with fillings such as cream cheese, praline, cinnamon, and strawberry.
Here’s how you can create your own festive King Cake Trifle.
- Category: Desserts
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
For the Layering
- 1 King Cake
- 1 Container of Blueberries
- 1 Container of Raspberries
- 1 Container of Whipped Cream
- Decorative Sprinkles of your choice if needed, I used fruit
Preparation of the Chantilly Custard
- Over medium heat in a small sauce pan boil the milk and then take it off the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until blended.
- Beat some of the hot milk into egg mixture.
- Add the egg mixture into the saucepan and stir until smooth.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until cool (or overnight).
- After the custard is cool, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chilled custard.
Layering the Trifle
- Cut up the King Cake in small layers to fit your dish or glass that you are going to use.
- Start with a layer of custard on the bottom, then in this order continue to layer with cake, custard, blueberries, cake custard, blueberries until you get to the top.
- Top it off with whip cream and decorative sprinkles or fresh fruit.
- Now you are ready to serve!
Keywords: Desserts, King Cake Trifle & Chantilly Custard, Cakes, Custard, Trifle Cake