King Cakes are out and about and I thought it would be fun to create a King Cake Trifle that is layered with a Chantilly custard, blueberries and topped off with whipped cream and sprinkles.
The King Cake is part of a Carnival Tradition (also known as Mardi Gras) that you will find throughout the Gulf Coast Region of Texas, up to Mobile, AL and all the way to the Florida Panhandle.
You will find King Cakes in all of the bakeries and grocery stores with fillings such as cream cheese, praline, cinnamon, and strawberry.
The Trifles turned out lovely and looked festive on a tray with beads and Mardi Gras masks!
Here’s how you can create your own festive King Cake Trifle. Don’t forget the beads!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
For the Layering
- 1 King Cake
- 2 Containers of Blueberries
- 1 Container of Whipped Cream or Ice Cream (Praline would be divine!) to top it off
- Decorative Sprinkles of your choice
Steps to Prepare the Chantilly Custard
- 1. Over medium heat in a small sauce pan boil the milk and then take it off the heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until blended.
- 3. Beat some of the hot milk into egg mixture.
- 4. Add the egg mixture into the saucepan and stir until smooth.
- 5. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon, about 15 minutes.
- 6. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- 7. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until cool (or overnight).
- 8. After the custard is cool, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- 9. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled custard.
Layering the Trifle
- 1. Cut up the King Cake in small layers to fit your dish or glass that you are going to use.
- 2. Start with a layer of custard on the bottom, then in this order continue to layer with cake, custard, blueberries, cake custard, blueberries until you get to the top.
- 3. Top it off with whip cream (or a praline ice cream) and decorative sprinkles.
- 4. Now you are ready to serve!
Keywords: Desserts, French Dishes, King Cake Trifle, Chantilly Custard