Monte Cristo Sandwiches, serve with a side of jam and a glass of Champagne and you are in for a treat!
1/2 cup soften butter
12 slices crustless white bread
8 thin slices each of deli ham, deli turkey, and cheese (baby Swiss cheese or Gruyere)
powdered sugar for dusting
red current jam to serve on the side
optional but highly suggest, bubbles
1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
- In a large bowl mix eggs, milk and an pinch of salt, set aside. Lightly butter bread slices on each side.
- Layer the sandwiches in this way: slice of bread, slice of ham, turkey and cheese. Place the 2nd slice of bread then a slice each of ham, turkey, and cheese. Top with the 3rd and final slice of bread. Cut in half on the diagonal and set aside until all sandwiches are made.
- Dip sandwich halves in the egg mixture and set aside on a platter until all completed.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet and fry until golden brown on all sides moving around so it doesn’t burn (see video). Transfer to a platter and continue until all sandwiches are finished. Wipe the skillet in-between to make sure it’s clean and the butter doesn’t brown too much.
- Dust with a layer of powdered sugar and serve with a side of jam.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: French Sandwich, Hot Sandwich, Lunch, Snack