Mortadella Mousse smoothed on toasted Ciabatta Bread
Mortadella Mousse is quick and easy to make.
Mortadella is a classic cured deli meat from Italy. The best is produced in the region of Bologna.
It’s flavored with spices, including whole or ground black pepper, myrtle berries, nutmeg and pistachios.
This recipe is super easy to make. You just need the ingredients and a food processor to puree the mortadella.
Note: This mortadella mousse is also nice for ravioli and pasta fillings
Serves about 12
- Category: Italian Inspired
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. flour
A pinch of nutmeg
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 lb. mortadella without pistachios (rind removed), cut into 1/2″ cubes
1/4 cup of ricotto
2/3 cup of cream
2 loaves ciabatta, sliced
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. crushed toasted pistachio nuts
1/2 cup baby arugula
1. Pour vinegar into a small saucepan and cook over low heat until reduced (2 minutes); remove from heat and set aside.
2. In another small saucepan make your velouté sauce: melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in chicken stock and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and set aside to let cool.
3. Next, put mortadella into a food processor and process until puréed. Transfer mortadella to a medium bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the reserved velouté sauce.
4. Then add the cream, ricotta and nutmeg and continue to blend until smooth and mousse-like. Season with black pepper or more nutmeg according to your taste. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set.
Note: It’s best to make it in the morning so it has a full day to set
5. Once you are ready to serve, rub the ciabatta with the oil and grill or toast it.
6. To serve, smear the grilled bread with the mortadella and garnish with a drizzle of the reduced balsamic and a scattering of pistachios and arugula. Serve at room temperature.
Keywords: Bites, Italian Dishes, Mortadella Mousse, Ciabatta Bread