Let’s pretend we jetted off to Venice to enjoy a chilled fresh Bellini Cocktail (recipe coming soon) with several of these addictive little sandwiches called Pierini.
Harry’s Bar in Venice is a landmark restaurant that’s known for inventing the Peach Bellini, Beef Carpaccio and these tasty Pierini Sandwiches.Print
Makes 12 each (rectangles)
2 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese shredded at room temperature
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2–3 tablespoons cream, to thin the cheese mixture
salt to your taste
12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cut into rectangles.
12 thin slices ham, cut into rectangles.
olive oil, for frying
- In a food processor mix cheese, egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard until smooth, thinning with a bit of cream if it is too thick to spread. Salt to your taste.
- Spread the cheese mixture on both sides of the bread.
- Add a slice of ham to one side of the bread and press the sandwiches together.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat with a little olive oil.
- Grill the sandwiches until they are golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwiches, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Place on a platter and serve with a chilled Bellini!