Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors and my go to at any gelateria! I decided to take my Italian Cream Cake and give it a makeover as a pistachio cake. To bring in the flavor I used pistachio butter which turned out amazing. This cake is perfect for celebrations or an afternoon tea! You’re going to love it.Print
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 15 Slices 1x
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors so I created a cake that’s all about it. Perfect for afternoon tea or any celebration.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If your oven browns quickly then take it down 15 to 20 degrees. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans.
2 cups of sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups of sugar
1 stick of butter unsalted (113g)
5 egg whites (beat until stiff peaks)
5 egg yolks
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pistachio butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
8 oz of mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup pistachio butter
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
How to make the cake:
- Cream (mix) butter with sugar and vanilla.
- In 2 small bowls separate 5 egg yolks from the whites.
- Add egg yolks to butter mixture, mix until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine sifted flour and baking soda.
- Add flour to the butter mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/4 cup at a time).
- Add pistachio butter and pistachio nuts, mix again.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- With a spatula, gently fold egg whites into the batter by making the figure 8 pattern.
- Spoon the batter into 3 pans evenly.
- Bake until light brown for 30 to 60 minutes.
- After they cool, place cakes on parchment and brush off crumbs (easier to ice).
- Assemble the cake and ice in between the layers.
- Ice the sides and the top of the cake until covered.
- Use chopped pistachios to decorate the sides.
- Refrigerate the cake until you are going to slice and serve!
How to make the icing:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream in a bowl until it thickens.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next mix in the pistachio butter with a spatula, folding it in carefully.
- You can store in your refrigerator until you are ready to ice the cake.
Keywords: Pistachio Cake
You might also like my Pistachio Apricot Cake!