I’m in Love with this Pistachio Cake.
Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors and my go to at any gelateria! So given my love for pistachios I baked a cake that’s all about it. And to bring that flavor to life I used pistachio butter. I can’t stress enough how much pistachio butter is a game changer for anything and everything you are creating that is based in pistachio flavor. So if you are obsessed with pistachios (like me) then get familiar with pistachio butter and try this cake! It’s perfect for celebrations or an afternoon tea! You are going to love it.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If your oven browns quickly then take it down 15 to 20 degrees. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans.
2 cups of sifted all purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 stick of butter unsalted (113g)
1 /2 cup finely chopped pistachios
5 egg whites (beat until stiff peaks)
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup pistachio butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 oz of mascarpone cheese
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
How to make the cake:
- Cream (mix) butter with sugar and vanilla.
- In 2 small bowls separate 5 egg yolks from the whites.
- Add egg yolks to butter mixture, mix until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine sifted flour and baking soda.
- Add flour to the butter mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/4 cup at a time).
- Add pistachio butter and pistachio nuts, mix again.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- With a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter by making the figure 8 pattern.
- Spoon the batter into 3 pans evenly.
- Bake until light brown for 30 to 60 minutes.
- After they cool, place cakes on parchment and brush crumbs off (easier to ice).
- Assemble the cake and ice in between the layers.
- Ice the sides and the top of the cake until covered.
- Use chopped pistachios to decorate the sides.
- Refrigerate the cake until you are going to slice and serve!
How to make the icing:
- Beat the heavy whipping cream in a bowl until it thickens.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Next mix in the pistachio butter with a spatula, folding it in carefully.
- You can store in your refrigerator until you are ready to ice the cakes.