This Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping is one of my favorite side dishes.
My mother spent part of her childhood in Louisiana. Her grandmother owned a boarding house and many of the cooks were from New Orleans.
A few of my Mother’s recipes reflect that time in her life and have always been included on our Holiday Table. This Southern Sweet Potato Casserole is one of them and wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it. The Praline topping makes this side dish extra :)
A Rich and Creamy Sweet Potato Casserole with a Praline Topping goes really well with Turkey, Ham, or Steak. It gives the meal that added perk and makes the rest of your plate enticing.
TIP: When you boil the sweet potatoes with skins on and drain with a cool water rinse the skins literally peel off.
Serves 6 to 8
What you will need:
6 large Sweet Potatoes (5 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Praline Pecan topping:
4 Tablespoons of butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
1. Boil the sweet potatoes (skins on) for about 30 to 40 minutes, until done.
2. Drain the sweet potatoes and cool them down with a cold water rinse.
3. Next, peel the potatoes and put them in a mixing bowl.
4. Heat the milk and butter until hot but not boiling.
5. With a stand or hand held mixer mix the sweet potatoes with the heated butter and milk.
6. Next add the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.
7. Butter a 9 x 13 casserole or baking dish and spread the sweet potato mixture evenly.
8. Set aside to work on the topping.
Pecan Praline Topping:
1. Melt the butter on low heat, stir in the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, heavy whipping cream and pecans.
2. Heat to a simmer and cook stirring constantly until the mixture is thick but do not boil.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Pour the topping evenly over the sweet potatoes and cover with foil.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes covered with foil,
6. Take foil off and bake for another 10 minutes until lightly crusty on the top.
7. Ready to serve!
Keywords: Meals, Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping, Sweet Potato