This Authentic Italian Tiramisu is one of my favorite desserts to share with friends and family.
This Tiramisu travels well so if you are looking for something to take to friends and family this will do the trick.
Background: Tiramisu (Italian: Tiramisù; Venetian: Tiramesù ” [tirameˈsu]) is one of the most popular Italian cakes. It is made of savoiardi (otherwise known as lady finger biscuits) dipped in espresso or rum, layered with a whipped mixture of egg yolks, mascarpone, and sugar, and topped with cocoa.
Fun Note: Tirare in Italian means to Pull or Pick, mi means me, and su means up. Tiramisu literally means “pick me up”. It has coffee in between the layers and is a nice pick me up or what we say digestivo dopo la cena (digestive after dinner).
What’s also nice about making a Tiramisu is that you can layer it into different types of glasses for a fun festive look. This dessert is also a great time saver. I like to make it the day before so that it’s ready to go the next day. This is really a nice feature when you are hosting a dinner party. It’s one less thing to worry about the day of!
A brachetto is a slightly sweet sparkling wine that is similar to Lambrusco and is sometimes called the a light red equivalent of Moscato d’Asti. The brachetto that I always serve is Banfi Rosa Regale and it is amazing so try it out!
1 Pound(s) And 2 Oz of Mascarpone Cheese
5 Medium Eggs Separated
1/2 Cup(s) Sugar
1 Pinch Salt
1 Package Lady Fingers to line dish
1/2 Cup(s) Brewed Espresso coffee
5 Teaspoon(s) Dark Meyers Rum (Optional) But I think it makes a difference!
1 Cup(s) Chocolate Shavings to top it off with, or whatever topping you want, you could use Cocoa Powder as well
1. Beat the mascarpone in a bowl until it is soft
2. In another bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar
3. Then add the mascarpone to the egg yolk sugar mixture
4. In another bowl using an electric beater or whisk, beat the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks
5. Fold the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture
Line a large serving dish with one layer of the Lady Fingers
6. Add 1 spoonful of sugar to the coffee and mix in the Rum
7. With the spoon, sprinkle the coffee over the first layer of Lady Fingers, enough to were they are are brown color
8. Then take your mixture and spoon it over the Lady fingers
9. Add another layer of Lady Fingers on top of the mixture that you just poured
10. With the spoon, sprinkle the coffee over the second layer of Lady Fingers
11. Then take the mixture and spoon it over the second layer of Lady Fingers
12. Top with your favorite topping, I like to use shaved chocolate! 13.
Then put in your Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, but I think it’s best over night.
If you plan on making this do it the day before to give the Tiramisu time to absorb. I have served it within 2 hours and have also served it the next day and it always seems better when it has time over night in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Desserts, Italian Dishes, Tiramisu