It’s easy to find ourselves making the same choices over and over, especially for dinners during the week. That’s why I want to share this recipe for Veal Piccata with capers and lemon with you.
Trying something a little different can make a typical weeknight into a special occasion. So what’s for dinner tonight? How about this Veal Piccata.
Just this once, let’s move past the safety of the chicken. Let’s give that sliced veal a second look. (On a weeknight? Why not?)
I found myself standing in front of the meat case at the Essalunga, an Italian grocery store down the street from us in Lucca.
Immediately I had vivid memories of those bright, delicate flavors, the salty bite of the capers, and veal that was so tender it barely needed a knife to slice into perfect, bite-sized pieces.
I think this veal piccata dish is spectacular served with a side of roasted potatoes on a bed of arugula with extra lemon slices tucked in.
Of course you can also serve it over pasta, rice or whatever starch you desire. It’s very versatile, which is perfect during the week.
It can be an easy and delicious everyday dish, or brought out to impress guests for a larger gathering. Plating it family style on a beautiful decorative platter really creates a festive look, and your guests will ooh and aah over the veal.
Go ahead and let them think this is a recipe for special occasions only…they don’t need to know you enjoyed it just the other day!
I’d love to hear about your favorite ever-so-slightly-adventurous weekday meal. Come on and dazzle me!
- 2 lb of Veal Scaloppine (thinly sliced and butterflied, ask your butcher for it if there isn’t any packaged up)
- 2 teaspoons of Italian Flat Leaf Parsley chopped + more for garnish
- Flour for dredging
- ½ cup of Balsamic Capers, non-pareil in white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of white wine
- Olive Oil
- Juice of 2 lemons + 2 additional lemons cut in wedges for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven at 375 degrees
- Season veal with salt and pepper
- Dredge the veal in flour and shake off any excess
- In a large skillet over medium to high heat, add about 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Once the skillet is hot add the veal and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until both sides are browned.
- Once both sides are browned transfer to an oven safe dish. Continue until all veal is browned.
- Next add the white wine to the skillet you were cooking the veal in and cook for about 2 minutes, deglaze the pan by scraping the brown bits from it. Now, add the lemon juice and capers. Cook for about another 2 minutes.
- Now take the skillet and pour the sauce over the veal that’s in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parsley, season with salt and bake in the over for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Once the veal is done you can plate it on a family size platter and garnish with more Italian Parsley and lemon wedges tucked in.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Meals, Italian Dishes, Veal Piccata