Fried Squash Blossoms remind me of Summers in Italy.
In Italy, the markets are full of beautiful squash blossoms bursting with color. The cheese oozes out with each bite. The squash blossoms have a delicious buttery flavor that goes so well with a glass of Champagne or White Wine. You really can’t go wrong here!Print
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup cold sparkling mineral water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
2 oz (60 g) fresh mozzarella cheese
20 large squash blossoms
1. In a bowl, stir flour, salt, eggs, mineral water, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
2. Cut the mozzarella into sticks, about 1 inch long.
3. In a frying pan at least 3 inches deep, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch. Heat until batter sizzles when dropped into the bowl.
4. While the oil is heating up, open the petals of each flower and carefully pinch out the filaments inside. Insert a piece of the cheese into each flower. Press flowers closed.
5. One at a time, dip the flowers into the batter coating it completely. Lift the flower out of the batter and drain off the excess batter so there is a thinner layer of the batter covering the flower.
6. A few at at time gently slip the flowers into the oil and fry until golden brown on all sides. Using a slotted spoon transfer them to paper towels so they can drain.
Continue this process until all of the flowers (blossoms) are done. Serve Immediately.
Keywords: Italian Dishes, Bites, Fried Stuffed Zucchini Flowers, Fried Squash Blossoms
Fried Squash Blossoms
For more check out my other Italian Dishes!