This Italian Apricot Jam Tart is simply divine. It’s perfect for dessert, breakfast, or just when you want to spoil yourself (or the people around you) a bit.
Crostata di Marmellata di Albicocche is a very popular dessert and also breakfast in Italy. Well, it becomes breakfast the next day with coffee if you have any leftover!
You will find this Jam Tart all over Italy including grocery stores, bakeries, and more importantly grandmothers still make them at home.
This Apricot Tart is a bit different than the ones you find back in the states because of the Italian Pie Crust – Pasta Frolla.
Her grandchildren absolutely adore this treat and were very excited when their Nonna whipped one up for them. I happen to catch her on a day that she was baking one up and was lucky to be apart of it too. It’s been a favorite dessert of mine ever since.
200 grams of all-purpose flour
120 grams of butter at room temperature
35 grams of potato starch
80 grams of sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling:
1 jar of apricot jam
1/4 cup of almond flour
A Few raspberries for your topping
1. In a large bowl cream together the sugar with the egg yolks.
2. Next add the unsalted butter (cubed at room temperature) to the sugar and yolk mixture.
It will become a yellow gooey mixture
3. Add lemon zest, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix together with a fork to blend all ingredients together.
4. Then add in the flour along with the potato starch. Blend with a fork then start to use your hands and form a round ball. Still using your hands knead the dough gently with your fingertips
5. Wrap the ball of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or more (next day is even better).
6. Take the dough out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 5 minutes.
7. Place the ball of dough in the center of the tart pan and start to press it out with your hands.
8. Continue to press the dough out all the way to the top edges so that it follows the edging of the tart pan.
9. Take a fork and prick holes in the bottom of the tart. Lay parchment paper on top with pie weights or dry beans.
10. For this apricot jam tart you will bake it blind (without anything in it) for 5 to 6 minutes (par-bake), this means we are only partially baking it. Bake at 375 degrees for about 5 to 6 minutes.
Let the tart cool (10 minutes) and then start with the directions on the filling below.
How to Prepare the Tart with the Filling:
1. Sprinkle almond flour evenly along the bottom of the tart.
2. Spoon the apricot jam into the tart just a bit below the edge.
3. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees, watching the edges so they don’t burn.
4. Take out of the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
5. Top with raspberries and serve!
Keywords: Desserts, Tart, Italian Dishes, Apricot Jam