The Best Italian Cream Cake
Never in a million years did I dream I could replicate my mother’s Italian Cream Cake. My mother took me through the process step by step of making her treasured cake. It’s 3 layers tall and made from scratch and the best cake I’ve ever tasted. I promise this is by far the best recipe for an Italian Cream Cake you are going to find. I know you will enjoy it as much as our family and that’s why we are both sharing it with you.
PANS AND TRANSPORTATION
I use 3 round cake pans for this cake. The bottom pan is 9 inch round (for the base) and the top 2 pans are 8.5 inch round. To stabilize the cake for transportation you can use straws. Cut them to the appropriate size and stick them in the center of the cake prior to icing. This will secure the cake.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
Assemble the cake on a cake stand or plate. Cut strips of parchment paper and place around the base of the cake. This helps to keep the icing off of the cake stand or plate. When you are done icing the cake, remove the parchment and you will have a nice clean finish at the bottom.Print
It’s 3 layers tall and made from scratch and the best cake I’ve ever tasted. I promise this is by far the best recipe for an Italian Cream Cake you are going to find.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 stick butter unsalted (113g)
- 1/2 cup dry shredded coconut
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 5 egg whites (beat until stiff peaks)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk
- 8 oz powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 teaspoon crème de cacao
Crème de Cacao is a sweet alcoholic liqueur (chocolate bean) flavored liqueur, often scented with a hint of vanilla.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If your oven browns quickly then take it down 15 to 20 degrees. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans.
- Cream butter with sugar and add vanilla.
- Add 5 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of olive oil, mix and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine sifted flour and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk (about 1/4 cup at a time) to the butter
- Mix in walnuts and coconut.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter by making the figure 8 pattern.
- Spoon the batter into your 3 pans evenly.
- Bake until light brown for 30 to 60 minutes (use a toothpick in the center and make sure no batter is on the stick).
- Once the cakes are done pull them out and let them cool a few minutes in the pan.
- After they cool, place the cakes on parchment and use a brush to dust off the crumbs (easier to ice).
Cream all of the ingredients together for the icing in this order: Cream Cheese, Butter, Buttermilk, Vanilla extract, Creme de Cacao, and Powdered Sugar. Note: If your not using Creme de Cacao just double up on the Vanilla extract.
Place your bottom layer on a plate or cake stand. Insert strips of parchment paper around the bottom of the cake. Ice the top of and add the middle layer and ice the top, then add your final layer of cake.
Start to ice the sides and the top of the cake until covered. Use chopped walnuts or coconut to decorate the sides. Refrigerate the cake until you are going to slice and serve!
- Serving Size: 15
Keywords: Italian Cream Cake
You might also like my Victoria Sponge Cake!