Italian Seed Cookies also known as Biscotti di Regina translates to “The Queens Cookies”. You will find these cookies available all through Sicily in pastry shops and bakeries around Christmas time. They are also known as Seed Cookies and Sesame Cookies. They are tender on the inside, with a crisp coating of sesame seeds on the outside.
They are perfect with coffee, tea, and even dessert wines like Marsala or Vin Santo. During the holidays I like to have a container of them around to add to various desserts or just for coffee and tea.
This is a simple recipe that you will enjoy making.
Servings: about 30 Cookies
Seed Cookie Mixture:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 sticks of butter
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2/3 Cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 teaspoons of Vanilla
For forming the cookie:
1 bowl of heavy cream
1 bowl of sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Combine flour and butter in a bowl
2. Add sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and egg
3. Mix all the ingredients well
4. To form the cookies roll into a ball and push down in the center to form a little log
5. Dip it in the cream and roll it in the sesame seeds
6. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake about 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
7. Once they are done baking let them set for about 10 minutes before you move them off the tray.
Another way to form the cookies:
1. Roll the dough into logs 1-inch in diameter
2. Cut the logs into 3-inch lengths
3. Dip each piece of dough into the cream and then roll in the sesame seeds
Keywords: Desserts, Italian Dishes, Cookies, Italian Coockie