Insalata di Arance: A Sicilian Orange Salad
I was reminiscing through our travel photos from Sicily. It’s been a couple of years since we’ve made the journey.
When I think of this amazing island the fruit that comes to mind are oranges and of course figs. Oranges make their way into everything. For example my mother makes a fantastic orangecello (this is like a limoncello but with oranges).
In Sicily you will find orange cakes, orange cookies, orange candy, orange drinks, even the arancine snacks look like oranges. It’s all about the orange.
Oranges grow abundantly and in many varieties all over Sicily. Therefore, the markets are full of them.
I picked up a few to make the Insalta di Arance, which is so delicious. You have to try it. Especially, if you are a fan of the sweet and salty combination. I am addicted to it!
- Category: Italian Inspired
4 Oranges (blood red are the best if you can find them)
1 Red Onion
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
4 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt to your taste
Freshly ground pepper
1. Peel the oranges and remove the pith and slice in rounds. Fan them out on a plate.
2. Peel and half then onion and thinly slice 1/2 of it, finely chop the other half and mix with the chopped parsley.
3. Sprinkle the onion parsley mixture over the oranges.
4. Season the oranges with salt and pepper then drizzle the olive oil.
5. Cover the plate with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
6. Remove from the refrigerator 5 to 6 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Italian Dishes, Salads, Orange Salad