I Absolutely Adore Smoked Salmon Pinwheels.
They make appetizing tiny bite size treats that are perfect for afternoon tea, picnics, or a cocktail hour.
I learned a few techniques from Giuliana Orme when we were visiting London over the summer. Giuliana offers classes for an afternoon tea. We had so much fun taking her class. It was one of the highlights of our trip.
I’ve also included a short film below that shows you how to make the Smoked Salmon Pinwheels.
Smoked Salmon: You can buy packages of smoked salmon at your grocery store located near the seafood section of the store. They are usually displayed as packets in a hanging case.
Bread: The idea here is to find thin crustless bread. And if that’s not possible just get a loaf of wheat bread and cut off the crust. To get the bread thin just use a rolling pin to flatten it out.
Cream Cheese: There are so many varieties of cream cheese on the market. I like to use the traditional cream cheese but you can try some of the other varieties and experiment.
Servings: This recipe makes about 20 to 24 pieces for 4 guests
Note: To keep the smoked salmon pinwheels moist before guest arrive just dampen a few paper towels and put on top of the pinwheels. This will keep the bread from drying out.Print
Smoked Salmon Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Yield: 20
- Category: Bites
- 4 thin slices of wheat bread (you can use whatever bread you like but I do prefer the wheat)
- Softened butter or cream cheese
- 5 oz of smoked salmon
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons
- Cut the crust from the bread
- Take a paper towel and cut it into 4 pieces to fit the size of the bread slices.
- Dampen the paper towels and squeeze out any excess water.
- Place the dampen slices of kitchen towels under the slices of bread. This will help you roll the bread into pinwheels by keeping the bread moist so it doesn’t crack.
- Spread the butter or the cream cheese on the bread right up to the edges.
- Cover each slice of bread with a slice of smoked salmon.
- Lightly sprinkle lemon juice over the salmon and just a touch of lightly ground pepper.
- Roll up each topped slice of bread as tightly and firmly as possible, then discard the paper.
- Chill for at least 20 minutes before cutting the roll into 5 pieces.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Sandwiches, Salmon, Pinwheel Sandwiches