This French Apple Cake is a family favorite. I love apples and honestly never get tired of them since there are so many varieties to choose from.
I usually stick with pink lady or honey crisp. Giulia loves the granny smith and the golden delicious. Adrian always goes for the Jazz variety.
Needless to say we end up with a basket full of apples. For a quick bite we slice them up and grab a spoon of peanut butter but on occasions we bake them into a French Apple Cake for a weekend treat.
What’s nice about this recipe is that you can make it with ingredients easily on hand. It’s also been interesting to me that I apparently always have dark rum on hand.
If you like to bake I would suggest getting a bottle of Dark Meyers Rum and put it right next to the Grand Mainer for adding that special kick to your desserts.
This cake is authentically French there is no cinnamon to be found. But I will tell you the rum really makes this French Apple Cake pop so don’t skip out on that one!Print
French Apple Cake Recipe
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Desserts
What you will need
- 1 ½ cup (204g) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 to 6 regular size apples (a mix of varieties of what you have on hand)
- Note: If you want the ratio to be apples to cake then use 6 apples, if you want it to be more cake to apples then use 4 apples.
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup (250g) sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) (170g) butter, salted or unsalted, melted and cooled to room temperature
Steps to Prepare & Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC) and adjust the oven rack to the center of the oven.
- Heavily butter an 8- or 9-inch spring form pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Peel and core the apples, and slice them into wedges.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then whisk in the sugar, then rum and vanilla.
- Whisk in half of the flour mixture, and then gently stir in half of the melted butter
- Stir in the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of the butter.
- Fold in the apple slices until they’re well-coated with the batter.
- With a spatula scrape the batter into the prepared spring form pan and smooth out the top so it is even.
- Bake the cake for 35 minute to 1 hour (This will vary depending on your oven).
Test it out by inserting a toothpick into the center to check if it comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, and then run a knife around the edge to slowly to loosen the cake from the pan before you spring it out. Next carefully remove the sides of the cake pan, making sure no apples are stuck to it. This cake is truly wonderful and I am sure you will love it.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: Desserts, French Dishes, French Apple Cake, Apple Cake
Serving: I like to serve this cake a la mode. (warm cake with a scoop of ice cream).